Reply To: 2022 Fall Auction “Here’s what I’m Bringing” thread

Forums Club Stuff Events 2022 Fall Auction “Here’s what I’m Bringing” thread Reply To: 2022 Fall Auction “Here’s what I’m Bringing” thread

Phil
Participant

AAAA had guidance for sellers in the past. I remember reading the guidance prior to registering for the last auction I attended but cannot recall the link. You should follow AAAA guidance if posted but my opinion is below.

If you want to sell all of them then I would do 10 to a bag. If you have 70, then this puts you at the 7 bag maximum for the species.

You can order bags from several sites… do not use ziplock bags. Kensfish.com sells pretty nice bags (under shipping supplies). You can get bags from Amazon just make sure they are thick (at least 2 mil). You also need good rubber bands.

For plecos, you’ll want to use at least “2 mil” bags and it’s recommended to double or triple bag them. Keep in mind, bidders will most likely handle the bag of fish when it’s on the display table so you want to ensure the bag does not leak.

I would recommend you fast the fish for 48 hours before the auction (don’t feed them). For plecos, I also take away their wood during fasting. Fasting the fish helps keep the “bagged water” in good condition during the auction. Try to keep unwanted “extras” out of the bag if possible… no snails, duckweed, etc.

I bag fish the morning of the auction with clean dechlorinated water. I wouldn’t use tank water but I would try to match the tank water temperature. Think of this as a water change for your fish but they are going into a bag of clean water.

After you add the water and fish to the bag then you will use a rubber band to close the bag. You want to ensure there’s room left in the bag for air (do not blow in the bag – use the fast bag grab… demo in video below). I like at least 30-50% air.

Label the bag with the type and quantity of fish.  You also need to add the auction identifier for the bag – “seller number – bag number”. You get your seller number when you preregister.

If you haven’t bagged fish before… you will want to practice before hand. I know it looks straightforward and easy but there is a technique to it. Give yourself plenty of time for bagging the fish; it always takes me longer than I think.

Check out the YouTube videos below. I think the bag size mentioned in the Pittsburgh Pets video would be fine for you. I also included another video that shows poly bag sizes if you decide on a larger bag. If you want an easy square bottom bag that stands on its own then check out the link for making a fish bag with no corners.

Pittsburgh Pets – Selling Guppies and how to bag your fish

Poly bag size examples

How to make a fish bag with no corners (skip to 11:40)

If you don’t want to buy bags online, then I can sell them to you. 20 bags, 25 rubber bands for $15 pickup in Canton.

Phil