AAAA Question of the Week – 3

Forums Club Stuff Club Chat AAAA Question of the Week – 3

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    David Mercer
    Admin

Hey AAAA!

We are continuing our new series this week. Thanks to everyone that answered last weeks question, some great fish in there and some surprises. It was hard to come up with just one, if you haven’t answered yet there is a link to last weeks question at the bottom of this post feel free to add to it.

Week 3’s Question:

What is your favorite aquatic plant?

Continuing with a pretty basic question for this week. What is your favorite aquatic plant? Anything green, or red, that doesn’t have a pulse and lives in your freshwater tank counts.

Previous Week Next Week

David Mercer
    AAAA Board of Directors and Webmaster

Trinny Freeman
    Participant

How do you pick a favorite plant?  LOL  I have MPS (multiple plant syndrome) so I have many favorites.  If I HAD to pick just one, I think it would have to be amazon sword.  They fill in tanks nicely, provide lots of hiding, break the line of site, and just grow really well in my tanks.

After that, I really like my ludwigia repens because they grow so well and I just keep trimming and replanting to get nice full stands throughout all my tanks.

Alex
    Participant

My favorite plants are Anubias, more specifically the Anubias Nangi. The Nangi have a cool affect on the leaves that remind me of oil paintings, and Anubias are real actively easy to grow too!

Roses are red,
    Violets are purple,
    Or are they blue?
    Either way,
    I love my fish,
    and so should you!
    🐟🐟😊😊🐟🐟

William Beard
    Participant

My current favorite is crypt wendtii bronze. It is just such a good looking plant and easy to care for.

Lynn Sweeney
    Participant

Bucephelandra (all flavors) and Madagascar lace plants.

Brie Mercer
    Participant

I love some Anubias nana petite. But I’ve always wanted a Madagascar Lace plant. Hrm … mosses are fun too. Yeah super hard question!

Brianna Mercer

Ken Seiders
    Participant

There are a lot of wonderful plants, but my all time favorite is Myriophyllum matogrossense.  It is a feathery stem plant, sturdier than Cabombas, grows in just about any light level, and in medium to high light, quickly grows to fill its space. It’s easy to trim, becomes thicker when trimmed, and looks great! M. matogrossense grows in the pond (even overwintering in Atlanta some years) and fish love to use it for spawning, with the fry using it as hiding spaces.  It will grow floating, but looks best panted in the substrate (imho – as if there were really any h imo). It’s also a nice bright green color, though if the light is high enough the growing tips will be slightly pinkish looking (of course be sure to supply little sunglasses for the fish if your light levels are that high).

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    David Mercer
    Admin

This was way harder than it should have been and I even had extra time to think about it. While I really like the different mosses and almost went crazy and said marimo ‘moss’ balls. I think I am going to have to go with crinum calamistratum. I haven’t yet had this one bloom but the blooms do look cool and I love the long crinkly leaves it has. It was actually one of the first plants we got in our first aquarium.

crinum calamistratum

David Mercer
    AAAA Board of Directors and Webmaster

PAUL VANBRUG

It’s hard to pick one favorite. Anything that doesn’t die… However if I have to choose, I would have to say Java Fern. I bought one plant about 25 years ago. Now I have it in most of my tanks. It’s interesting how it grows so differently in different tanks, and it all came from one mother plant that completely melted after I got it. No one told me not to bury the rhizome. I threw it away, frustrated, probably mumbled something like “Why do I even try to mess with live plants”, “Waste of money”. Later I found a leaf I had missed, and it was covered in baby plants. Every plant I have came from that leaf, and it’s descendants.

My plant skills, or luck has defiantly been improving in the last few years. I have moved past Java Fern, and Anubias. Thanks to the club auctions I have tried a lot of new plants. Amongst everything I currently have, I have two different types of Crypt, and they may be my new favorites soon.

Misty Carol
    Participant

I’m growing pretty fond of my amazon swords

Jae Ren Yee
    Participant

I like the Madagascar Lace-leaf plant, I have one in one of my shrimp tanks, and marimo moss balls are also one of my favorites. Basically, I like any plant that’s unique. 😉

Heather Moulton-Meissner
    Participant

Any that won’t die in low light/low tech.  I am getting better at not killing stem plants.  Bacopa carolinia is really nice, I like its smell.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.