AAAA Question of the Week – 8

Forums Club Stuff Club Chat AAAA Question of the Week – 8

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    David Mercer
    Admin

Hey AAAA!

Thanks to everyone that answered last weeks question and a huge thanks to everyone that has gone back and answered all the previous weeks. Its great to see what is working in the club. This week we will continue collecting good recommendations that we can point people to in the future. Not always the most glamorous but certainly helpful!

Week 8’s Question:

What is your favorite or most used substrate?

Remaining practical, What is your favorite substrate to use in your tanks? Why is it your top pick? Let us know where you get it so we can take a look and try it.

Previous Week Next Week

David Mercer
    AAAA Board of Directors and Webmaster

PAUL VANBRUG

If I’m trying to grow plants, I like to use Flourite. I have 2 tanks using this, about 3″ deep. I also use it in clay pots in other tanks. I think I purchased it at PetsMart.

Most of my tanks have regular aquarium gravel, or Pea gravel from Home Depot. I go for the natural colors, sometimes I’ll mix a little black in with it. Most of my breeder/grow out tanks only have a single layer covering about half of the bottom. Just enough to grow bacteria and give stuff some ware to settle until I vacuum.

G
    Participant

I like to use Black Diamond black sand blast sand. I usually mix other stuff under neath it and cap it with this.

David Mercer
    Admin

It all depends on the type of tank. I really like the look of sand so we often use either pool filter sand or blasting sand depending on the color we are going with. That said we tend to use florite in our planted tanks. But of course now that we are looking at getting our fish room going again I think I will go with the bare bottom there and only use substrate in our show tanks in the front of the house.

David Mercer
    AAAA Board of Directors and Webmaster

Lynn Sweeney
    Participant

Seachem flourite has worked well for us. We have one tank with Carib Sea Super Natural peace river gravel with pockets of Fluval Stratum underneath for specific rooted plants that is working nicely in our 75 rainbow community tank.

Beth Hall
    Participant

I have gravel, white sand, and the Black Diamond black sand blasting sand.  IMHO, I am not a fan of the black sand- make the tanks too dark. Sand is fair for growing plants, Gravel is in most of my tanks. It’s fair at growing plants.  I have one thank with flourite mixed in but it makes the water yellow, which I don’t care for.  I guess I’m still searching for the ideal substrate for plants.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.