Holiday Party December 7th

Awesome Shellies?

Forums Fish Talk Hard Water Fish Awesome Shellies?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Alex November 2, 2019 at 2:24 pm.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

David Mercer
    Keymaster

I’ve always wanted a shelly tank, for some reason I have zero interest in African cichlids except for Tanganyikans and that is probably mostly because of the shell dwellers. We had a Multi tank at one point and they were so fun, albeit a bit destructive of the decor. Ever since its been on my list to get a show tank for shellys up and running.

As I said I love Multies but it seems like most shell dwellers have a similar appearance. I think the Lamprologus ocellatus ‘blue’ are my favorite.

But then I came across the Altolamprologus compressiceps “sp. shell” Sumbu (now that’s a mount full) and it is so awesome, I love the grumpy shell dweller!

What do you think about shellys and have you seen any particularly unique ones? Or any great tank mates you enjoy with them?

David Mercer
    AAAA Board of Directors and Webmaster

Alex
    Participant

Neolamprologus callipterus is a large male of about 5” and a colony of females that are about 1”each. Very aggressive and hard to find, but are unique.

Neolamprologus brevis are 2” Shellie’s that get fancy patterns around their heads. Neolamprologus lelupei are shapes like julidochromis but are yellow and less aggressive. These guys breed in both shells and caves. I have a pair the breeds in a nook in a piece of driftwood. They are generally not picky when it comes to niches and will breed in whatever they find.

I had a black calves breed once in a shell but that was a one time thing as they never did anything after that.

Roses are red,
    Violets are purple,
    Or are they blue?
    Either way,
    I love my fish,
    and so should you!
    🐟🐟😊😊🐟🐟

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.