Baffling Dropsy Case

Forums Fish Talk I need help! Baffling Dropsy Case

Tagged: ,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Heather Moulton-Meissner
    Participant

So, I have this female betta that had been neglected by an ex-roommate. She has had dropsy for a LONG time now, over a month. I am certain that she has organ failure,  and this isn’t the result of opportunistic infection.  The fish I have treated in the past before with this condition either decline quickly, or recover right at the three week mark.

I had initially treated her with antibiotics, Epsom salts, a warmer tank, and a generous amount of methylene blue in a shallow container, regular water changes, and quite sparing feedings. She perked up after a few days in the quarantine tank. She responds to stimuli, watches the kid and cats, and swims up when I come by to feed.

So… the behavior seems okay, is there any good way to tell if continuing to treat her is ethical?

What’s the longest you’ve nursed a fish sick with dropsy? What was the outcome?

Sincerely,

Puzzled at the Perimeter

Julia Jeorge

Hi there. I think its ethical to keep treating her as long as she is responsive. I do hope she is in a tank of at least 5 gallons, if not you could put her in one, with heat, light, a filter and some live plants. Sometimes it takes fish a long time to die, sorry to put it that way.I once had a goldfish that I hand fed with a syringe for a year, then he died anyway.We do what we can with what we have, you very kind to help her. Bettas are pretty hardy fish, she may just make it. She is amazing, sick as she is, to watch your kids and the cat. I have found Bettas to be very intelligent with cool personalities. I hope you are rewarded with a healthy fish.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.