Breeding Rice Fish

Forums Fish Talk General Breeding Rice Fish

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    William Beard
    Participant

I picked up some rice fish a couple of months ago and want to tr my hand at breeding them soon. What are some tips for inducing them to spawn in the aquarium? What are some good foods to condition the adults? And what is the best first foods for the fry?

Any other information other then those would be greatly appreciated.

David Mercer
    Admin

I just got some of these as well. I was told that the batch mine came from tended to do nothing for long stretches but the introduction of baby brine for a bit prompted them to start spawning. I’ve also been told they hold their eggs in their anal fins until they hatch which sounds pretty cool. I’ll post any more info I get if I can get them to breed.

Have you had any success breeding them yet?

David Mercer
    AAAA Board of Directors and Webmaster

William Beard
    Participant

I haven’t, though I also havent had the tank space to breed them yet. Been working with cichlids and bettas recently.

Mitchell Broome
    Participant

The female will hold the eggs between their anal fins for a while, but they end up depositing them on something to hatch.  It’s a pretty interesting site.  I keep them in a tank with a floating spawning mop and periodically pull the mop.  I don’t put much other decorations in the tank so they will really only deposit on the mop.  I find if I leave the eggs with the parents for too long, most of them will get eaten.  They can actually handle cold temperatures really well.  I have had them in tubs outside for a while now.  I haven’t really done anything special that I’m aware of to induce spawning.  They get a normal round of small flakes, really small (0.5mm) pellets and the periodic frozen cyclops or leftover baby brine shrimp.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.