Is anyone keeping Ambastaia sidthimunki (dwarf chain loach)?

Forums Fish Talk Soft Water Fish Is anyone keeping Ambastaia sidthimunki (dwarf chain loach)?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kirsten Eidsmoe
    Participant

I’ve been keeping these little loaches for over a decade, but I’m thinking about making some changes to my tanks. I’m curious to hear from others who keep them or similar small loaches – what other bottom dwellers or inverts do they get along well with? Mine lived for years with Amano shrimp, but every time I introduce cherry shrimp, they disappear. I’m not sure if it’s the loaches, or something wrong in the tank. I’d also just love to hear from any other loach fans out there – what are you keeping?

Everything’s better with pictures… here’s an old one of part of my school:

Lynn Sweeney
    Participant

These are so cool. How big do they get? I was thinking of adding some of those to one of our community tanks. How big do they get? Do they play well with others?

Kirsten Eidsmoe
    Participant

They stay quite small – usually about 2 inches. They’re very social (like most loaches), so they enjoy being in big groups, and it’s a lot of fun to watch their interactions! I’ve never tried them with any other bottom-dwellers, so I was hoping others would have more info on possible tankmates. I’ve been thinking about downsizing and moving them to another tank, but I’m afraid they might be too boisterous for my pangio loaches.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.