Looking for specialty Japanese Rice Fish Medaka

Forums Trading Post Wanted Looking for specialty Japanese Rice Fish Medaka

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Lynn Sweeney
    Participant

I would like to find some of the specialty types of Japanese rice fish that they breed in Japan. I’m particularly interested in the ones with lame scales and koi-like appearance. Is there a place to purchase eggs? Can you legally buy them from overseas? Pretty much every Instagram breeder with #medaka is written in Japanese. Just wondering because I’ve never purchased anything like that from overseas and really wouldn’t know where to start to even find some. Advice? Thanks credit to IG poster for their pics used as examples.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    William Beard
    Participant

Hopefully they chime in but there is someone in the club that works with medaka rice fish. Every meeting there is a brief auction after where members can sell stuff. There was some moonlight and orange sold this past month. It would definitely be good to come to a meeting and ask around since I am sure there are others keeping them as well.

Lynn Sweeney
    Participant

I’m the one who bought the orange 😊 and I bought some moonlight at the fall auction last year. They’re lovely and I’d love to find more. It just doesn’t seem like there are many other options , except for Daisy’s Ricefish, available online, at least that I have been able to find.

William Beard
    Participant

Ahh, still learning who everyone is. It is a shop that I both like and dislike for various reasons, but talk to Iquatics in Duluth. The owner does nothing but import, so not sure what it would cost but he might be able to find some for you. I know he has atleast gotten the moonlight in stock before. Also might be worth checking aquabid since random stuff will occasionally pop up there

Also I got some moonlights in January and love them. I want to get more once I have the money and space, they are such a fun little fish in the nano fish tank. (female betta, a badis, ember tetras, 3 tiny bristlenose, and now the rice fish)

Jae Ren Yee
    Participant

Yes, Iquatics is awesome. Around Iquatics, there is a Petco around that area, and it is beside Petsmart and Atlanta Aquarium (An aquarium store). You can ask to preorder almost anything, I preordered an Amazon Puffer there and it came, and there are really good prices. (I also got pygmy cories for $0.99)If I could preorder Amazon Puffers, than I’m sure you can preorder the rice fish from there. But I’m not sure if they are bred in America, or Japan.

William Beard
    Participant

I found this online, not the cheapest but it is the only person I see at the moment with the koi medaka in stock.

Koi medaka ricefish (Oryzias latipes)

Lynn Sweeney
    Participant

Wow! Thanks William! This is exactly what I’m looking for.

William Beard
    Participant

You’re welcome, if you get them and they breed for you. Then would love to get some of the fry from you. Don’t have space for more at the moment but hopefully I would by then.

Lynn Sweeney
    Participant

The price of the fish really wans’t outrageous but $80 for shipping and they’re 1-2cm long. Eeek. Almost would rather have eggs. I’ll keep searching.

William Beard
    Participant

I don’t blame you there, there are some fish I am looking at getting but the shipping is the big thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on it. Cause there are some rare livebearers I have looked at getting but the shipping is quite costly.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.