Needing Some Help- CARES/Goodwill

Forums Club Stuff Goodwill Needing Some Help- CARES/Goodwill

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jill Bridges
    Participant

Hellllllo All!

Creekland Middle School in Lawrenceville has contacted me about setting up a full fish room in the old Home Ec room. Lots of open space, lots of kitchens for water! They’d like to work with genetics (thinking angels or guppies, but I’m open to ideas) and also dedicate space to CARES species for their conservation/biology lessons. There are about 700 students per grade (6th, 7th, and 8th) that would be working directly with these projects, so it’s a tremendous opportunity for the hobby.

I had been attempting to secure a fish room set up someone was selling, but that fell through. So I figured I’d reach out here and start organizing.

Here’s what I see that we’ll need:

1. Tanks and hardware to build the room/funds to buy what we can’t get donated
    2. Expertise from volunteers (air set up, live food set up, etc)
    3. Man power to build out the room, pick up tanks, etc
    4. Ongoing volunteers to help oversee/check in with the school. Students will be doing the day to day work and both STEM teachers are 100% onboard and excited.

Anyone interested? Thoughts? Things I’ve missed?

Proud Fish Nerd.
    Ask me about the CARES Program!

Stewart Pence

Hey Jill, would love to help out any where I can. I have a few tanks that I can donate and time on the ground.

William Beard
    Participant

Let me know what days you are going to be there. I would love to help but will have to plan ahead to make sure I am off work then. In regards to working with genetics, I think starting with some feeder guppys would be a good place. That way they can split out to develop certain colors. If you go with those, let me know and I will donate those after quarantining and medicating them.

Nicole Robertson
    Participant

I have a spare 10 gallon tank and some other hardware I can donate; just let me know how!

Martin Moore
    Participant

They can apply to NANFA for a grant.  The Gerald C. Corcoran Educational Grant seems most appropriate.  The person applying needs to be a NANFA member and the project needs to meet certain guidelines.  The maximum amount is $1500 and is awarded annually to the person who submits the best proposal.  I can certainly suggest that they keep Goodeids as part of the CARES efforts – those are native to North America and are critically endangered throughout most of their range.  As for species that would be good for genetic experimentation – again, that grant is about natives, so let me talk to some folks and see which fishes they might find appropriate.  Preferably a fish that the students can collect themselves, like Gambusia or something.  And of course there are a few up us that can offer our time and (dubious) expertise.

Sine there hasn’t been any news since the original post I’m guess that the project is on hold until things open back up.

Also, if you can give me a point of contact that would be helpful.

Martin Moore
    Participant

Hikari USA also has small grants.

Home Page

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.