Offloading Molly fry?

Forums Trading Post For Sale Aquarium Items – Local Offloading Molly fry?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sunny
    Participant

Hi everyone! I’m fairly new to fish-keeping, and found this club on Facebook, but I’m not sure if my who would be allowed there. I’m thinking I’d like a few Mollies for my 29 gallon, but obviously they’re going to produce a lot of fry. I have skirt tetras in the tank that should help keep population down, but I can’t figure out what people do with the inevitable extra mollies? I looked for threads on here selling them to see if that’s something people do, and didn’t find many, but so many get sold at pet stores that surely there’s some solution people have found to extra fish. Do Petco or pet smart take fry? A local fish store? Is the swap meet a good place to rehome any?

Thank you for letting me know- I want to have a plan before I start bringing baby fry into the world, and I appreciate feedback if getting mollies are a terrible idea, as well.

CoolfinsAquatics
    Participant

Are there a lot if free tank space

Sunny
    Participant

Not too much- it’s a 29 gallon, currently stocked with 6 zebra danios, 7 skirt tetras, and a bristlenose pleco.

Phil
    Participant

If you don’t want the fish to breed then limit the tank to a single sex.

Regarding selling fish, common live bearers are hard to sell (in my opinion). I find the fish typically reproduce faster than I can get rid of them. I don’t think Petco/Petsmart take fish; they definitely don’t buy them from local hobbyist. You can check with your local fish store(s) to see if they would take them for store credit (or for free); expect very low value for the exchange if one is offered. There are swap meets where people sell fish; I don’t recall seeing anyone selling mollies, so there *might* be a local market for it. Occasionally, I see postings for free fish on the forum but don’t recall if they made it to a new home. The AAAA typically has auctions where I think the mollies would sell; no telling on price.

Swordtail
    Participant

You probably won’t have a problem unless you seek to breed them and put in the effort to separate them. I have a 55 with swordtails and mollies and over the last two years I’ve only had a handful reach adulthood. The tank is pretty well established now with lots of plants and nooks and crannies to hide in and I have made a conscience effort to separate the fry when I find them. I’m only now growing the population. Your experience may differ, but I have found them to be pretty self regulating.

Sunny
    Participant

That’s good feedback, thank you! I don’t really care to sell/ breed them for profit, I just don’t want to bring lil fry into the world with no plan for what to do with them. Even if that plan is for other tank mates to snack on them.

Christopher Taylor
    Participant

For what it’s worth, the Duluth Petco will rehome most fish, including common live-bearers. They won’t give store credit, but if you’re ever desperate to get rid of some extra fish quickly, they’re an option.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.