Pond Snail Problems

Forums Fish Talk I need help! Pond Snail Problems

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jae Ren Yee
    Participant

I accidentally put pond snails in one of my shrimp tanks and there are so much of them now. I think they are competing with the shrimp for food, and that is a problem. I don’t know how to control the snail population, because I used to have a pea puffer that helped me control the population. So do people manually remove the snails? Or is there some kind of fish-friendly chemical that I don’t know about that helps control the snail population?

🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐
    By: Jae Ren Yee|🐟🐟🐟| 🐠 🐠 🐠|🦀|🐋|🦈|🦞|🦑|🐳🐳
    🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡
    Now this is what I call modern art!
    My aquatic YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfeAXOlBGbBauZIzWFA2WZQ
    Please subscribe!!

Julia Jeorge

oh dear , pond snails ,I had them several years ago.the issue with chemicals is if it will kill snails it will kill shrimp & that is not what you  want.Snails infest everything gravel ,plants , ornaments, driftwood,filter everything. My best suggestion is get another tank, set it up with new substrate, new plants, new everything and then carefully one by one move your shrimp to the new snail free heaven you have prepared for them.I tried everything to get rid of pond snails & nothing worked , finally emptied my tank, scrubbed the tank glass with aquarium salt, got NEW substrate, new driftwood new filter media,and then they were gone.it has been quite a few years now and I have learned to be VERY vigilant. it was very hard financially for me to do a complete throw everything out but in the end it was worth it.good luck

Jae Ren Yee
    Participant

oof….. I spent so much time growing the dwarf hairgrass, and setting up the aquascape…… But I think I will keep the pond snails in there though, I really don’t want to redo another tank. Thanks for the advice though.

🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐
    By: Jae Ren Yee|🐟🐟🐟| 🐠 🐠 🐠|🦀|🐋|🦈|🦞|🦑|🐳🐳
    🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡🐡
    Now this is what I call modern art!
    My aquatic YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfeAXOlBGbBauZIzWFA2WZQ
    Please subscribe!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.