Swap Meet March 7th

Removing Algae From Leaves

Forums Fish Talk Aquatic Plants Removing Algae From Leaves

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    William Beard
    Participant

I have some stem plants and crypt that I have noticed as starting to grow some algae on their leaves. They are in a tank that would not be shrimp friendly. So what are the best options for a fish/critter that would be able to remove the algae with you damaging the plants?

Alex
    Participant

Bristlenose Plecos are easy to get with a wide variety of types, and they eat algae, or maybe you can try hillstream loaches , only if the tank is cooler temp.

Roses are red,
    Violets are purple,
    Or are they blue?
    Either way,
    I love my fish,
    and so should you!
    🐟🐟😊😊🐟🐟

Jae Ren Yee
    Participant

Most algae eaters grow big, (at least the ones I am picturing right now in my mind),Β  but I prefer Octocinclus, or like Alex said, bristlenose plecos. Ottos are more peaceful, and are even shrimp friendly, (even with babies). At least that’s what everyone else says. (Not sure about the last part)

🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐
    By: Jae Ren Yee|🐟🐟🐟| 🐠 🐠 🐠|πŸ¦€|πŸ‹|🦈|🦞|πŸ¦‘|🐳🐳
    🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑
    Now this is what I call modern art!

Alex
    Participant

I have hear stories of ottos taking down fish and killing them. I have never had them but Β it is not because of that story, which I don’t believe. Anyone want to support this to disprove of it, you go right head because I know very little of the ottocinclus fish. Β And now that I think of it, I have baby lemon blue-eyed Plecos at one centimeter in length, if you (William) want any (parents won’t stop breeding).

Roses are red,
    Violets are purple,
    Or are they blue?
    Either way,
    I love my fish,
    and so should you!
    🐟🐟😊😊🐟🐟

Ryan Young

Best option is to just rub the algae off the leafs with your fingers. all animal solutions are inconsistent.

AAAA Board of Directors
    HAP Chairman

Jae Ren Yee
    Participant
    • Answer to the octocinclus question, they are very peaceful and probably wouldn’t hurt a fly (Is there such thing as an underwater fly?)
    • And are your lemon eyed plecos albino? Just wondering, but not sure if I could buy anyways

🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐
    🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑

Jae Ren Yee
    Participant

Oh, I think I know the answer to the last question I asked…… πŸ˜‰

🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐
    🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑

Jeremy Caswell
    Participant

Otos are peaceful grazers… they are about the only thing that swims that will not eat eggs or fry.

Just get a $3 cheap timer from walmart and set the lights to work from 6am to 10am and 4pm to 10 pm.Β  It clears up most algae

William Beard
    Participant

I have been planning to get Otis, but haven’t found any good looking ones. All of the lights are already on timers. Did that pretty early on since my wife and I will some times be gone for a day or two visiting family out of state.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.