Holiday Party December 7th

Summer Tubbin' Results

Forums Fish Talk Ponds/Outdoors Summer Tubbin' Results

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jeremy Caswell November 14, 2019 at 9:56 am.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

David Mercer
    Keymaster

So the summer tubbin’ season is officially over even for most of the determined holdouts. So what did everyone bring in this year? Any surprises or disasters?

Unfortunately we didn’t get any tubs out this year but I’m already planning for next year, so hopefully I’ll have a fun report in 12 months.

David Mercer
    AAAA Board of Directors and Webmaster

Jeremy Caswell
    Participant

I bought some hornwort and dwarf water lettuce at the Spring Auction, a pair of ~50g tubs at IKEA on the way home from the auction, and a floating Water Hyacinth for each from Home Depot. I added water, and a few days later, the fish. They were in the back yard under a dogwood tree. I also had a 10G tank with nothing in it to grow some live food for the house fish.

Beyond removing live food from the 10G, I did not touch the tubs in any way. No feeding, no water changes, nothing.

Tub 1 had three unsexed Florida Flag Fish (Jordanella floridae). The water turned murky in the first few days, and I did not see the fish again that summer. However, I knew something was alive because I saw no signs of live food in the water. I pulled them out on Saturday. I recovered three adults and eight babies. This was a big win for me as I have not gotten these to breed in an aquarium, or if I have, all the babies have been eaten.

Tub 2 had 12 unsexed Vietnamese White Clouds (tanichthys micagemmae). I am pulling in this tub tonight.

Jeremy Caswell
    Participant

In tub 2 I recovered about 6-8 White Clouds, and three hundred tadpoles. Disappointing.

David Mercer
    Keymaster

Yah last time we did outdoor tubs we saw so many fry but decided to wait an extra week and ended up bringing in the parents and almost no fry. So disappointing when you don’t get the awesome haul. Glad you were able to have some luck with the flag fish at least.

David Mercer
    AAAA Board of Directors and Webmaster

Jae Ren Yee
    Participant

I have an experience with tadpoles, they are the worst. I had about 200 guppy fry, and I put them out for the summer. But then some Southern Leopard Frogs started laying eggs in the wheelbarrow, and I think the frog eggs caused this: all my guppies died from poisoning. Great job on the flagfish.

🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐🦐
    By: Jae Ren Yee|🐟🐟🐟| 🐠 🐠 🐠|πŸ¦€|πŸ‹|🦈|🦞|πŸ¦‘|🐳🐳
    🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑
    Now this is what I call modern art!

Garrett Stoykewich
    Participant

Do you guys heat your outdoor tubs?

Jeremy Caswell
    Participant

We do not leave tubs out over winter.

Garrett Stoykewich
    Participant

So the ambient Georgia summer nights are not that much of concern? If that’s the case I think Ill try something hardy like an endler or molly this summer.

Jeremy Caswell
    Participant

Night temps are of no concern in the summer. The most sensitive fish you need to pull early in the fall… but most will survive anything that stays above 50F.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.